PROJECT: Kanon (Kyoto animation) DVD (16/24 released)
05-08-2008, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2011 11:01 PM by Rockman-X.)
Star PROJECT: Kanon (Kyoto animation) DVD (16/24 released)

Video: h264 @ 848x480 @ 23.976fps, not hardsubbed IN ANY WAY.
Audio: Vorbis @ Q 4.0 (~128kbit), 2 channels
Source: DVD R2 (Japan)
Languages: Japanese audio, English subs. Original translation by SS-Eclipse, with some edits here and there.
Subtitles: .ASS with softsubbed Karaoke. Karaoke-less alternative track included.

Screenshots (from episode 1, on PNG format):
[Image: kanon01.png]
[Image: kanon01c.png]
[Image: kanon01b.png]
[Image: kanon02.png]
[Image: kanon03.png]
[Image: kanon04.png]
[Image: kanon05.png]

My third project. It has been sitting on my "to do" list for a while, and here it is... It might take a while to be completed, though. Undecided
Special thanks to Nug, for helping with QC, and to OmegaPhil, for helping with distro.

Keep in mind the following:
My upload is SLOW (4000/600k ADSL Dodgy), so you'll NEED to be patient whenever I release a new episode. My computer is usually connected 24/7, so that should make things less painful for all of us.

ED2k / MegaUpload links:
Episode 01v2: silver overture - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 02v2: introit amidst the snow - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 03: partita without memory - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 04: caprice over the break - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 05: demons' serenade - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 06: divertimento filled with mystery - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 07: runaway and kitty's fuga - ED2k - Megaupload
Episode 08: fantasy of recollection - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 09: baby fox's berceuse - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 10: requiem atop the hill - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 11: intermezzo of light and shadow - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 12: deviant waltz - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 13: dangerous trio - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 14: fragmented concerto - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 15: sonatine of hide and seek - ED2k - MegaUpload
Episode 16: midnight oratorio - ED2k - MegaUpload

BitTorrent links: TRACKER IS DEAD, WILL FIX IT EVENTUALLY.
Episodes 1~12 batch
Episode 13: dangerous trio
Episode 14: fragmented concerto
Episode 15: sonatine of hide and seek
Episode 16: midnight oratorio

Subtitle / font pack (for episodes 1~12)

[Image: Cccpclassy5zo.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2008, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2011 10:49 PM by Rockman-X.)
Exclamation WIP status
IdeaThis post will (most of the time) contain the latest work-in-progress status of this project.

Angel
28-08-2008, 11:50 PM
RE: PROJECT: Kanon (Kyoto animation) (12/24 released)
One of my favorite shows EVER! ^^...

Any noticeable differences compared to the TV version, aside the absence of the (sponsor-)ads?
Find all posts by this user
29-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Nothing I could find, at least no additional scenes or something like that so far (it would be very noticeable on resynching).
20-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Thumbs Up RE: PROJECT: Kanon (Kyoto animation) (12/24 released)
Hi, I'm the one who looking forward to see your hardwork so far. Your first half (EP 1-12) are all nice with softsub because I can make into my own language too ! (I'm not American or someone who mainly use English language) It really useful either.

Your hard work was great, I'm the one who stay in touch with you sir Big Grin

PS. : I'm search for a bit hard to find your website but in the first time, I really don't know what should I put into the keyword search. But at last, I'm here, though Dodgy
PS.2 : I'm not own the DVD copy so I'd like to know what is the extra thing on DVD ?
21-09-2008, 10:31 PM
The usual stuff.. commentary audio and creditless OP/ED. I'll release the creditless OP/ED sometime before the last episode, and MAYBE also the "prologue", which is a small trailer. Just for the record, I don't even own the complete DVDISOs anymore either, I've just kept the VOBs.
27-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Once I try to re-encoded using yours as the source. Purposely for insert my sub with my language. I found many things that maybe least of the problems, my problems.

- I tried a bit hard time to encode as much as the source. But I found rough line (not the sharp one as yours) see the screen shot below for comparison.

This one is the source (yours)
[Image: bbb2.jpg]

This one is mine (after re-encoded from yours)
[Image: bbb.jpg]

- I using bitrate 1073 as it calculated by Megui from my purpose file size of 220MB (exclude sound)

So I would like to ask the methods you use to encode sir. It's not something serious if you can't tell. Or if it just something you can't tell me in public, I'll be waiting your personal message instead. Or if you can't tell at all, so just nevermind it.

Thank you in advance sir Big Grin
27-09-2008, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2008 11:59 PM by Rockman-X.)
The problem here is that you are trying to make a lossy recompress of an already lossy compressed video. No matter what you do, it won't look as good as the original. Kanon 2006 DVDISOs shouldn't be hard to find, considering the series' popularity.

Why don't you just add softsubs in your language? That way you won't need to reencode it, unless you REALLY want to limit file size. Remember: Lower file size = crappier looking encode. I never limit file sizes, instead I opt for quality-based encoding (CRF 16~18 on x264). Always gives great results, but the file sizes are unpredictable.

If you just want to add your subtitles, just open the file on MKVToolnix/MKVMerge GUI, add your subtitles, mux it to a new file. Alternatively, you can even load the subtitles externally, by renaming them with the same filename of the original episode, ie.: "Kanon 02.mkv" and "Kanon 02.ass". This way people can download the original releases and all you need to make is distributing a "subtitle pack".

But of course, if you are, even for a moment, thinking about adding HARDSUBBED subtitles to it, then you won't be getting any help from me. Dodgy
02-11-2008, 02:22 AM
RE: PROJECT: Kanon (Kyoto animation) (13/24 released)
Since AniRena seems to be down ATM, I've replaced the AniRena torrent link with a local copy of the .torrent file.
If you couldn't download Kanon episode 13 before on the BitTorrent link above, try now.
31-12-2008, 07:47 PM
RE: PROJECT: Kanon (Kyoto animation) (14/24 released)
Hi, Sir. Big Grin

I just come by to say Happy New Year and Wish you a very really really joyful in this year sir. Big Grin

I'm patient to wait for next release of your project as well, so don't give up, I'm the one who want to see such great work sir. Shy